How to Tell If Your Pool Filter is Broken
As one of the most important components of your swimming pool, the filtration system is essential for keeping the water free of debris and sanitary for swimming. However, like any other mechanical part, the filter may break down over time—which could lead to the frustrating problem of pool water that stays dirty no matter how often you clean/backwash it. Therefore, it’s important to be watchful for any indications that your pool filter isn’t working properly. Here are a few ways to tell if it is broken:
- Dirty water. One of the most obvious signs that your pool filter may be in need of repair is if the water remains murky or filled with debris even after the pool is thoroughly cleaned.
- Pressure problems. If the filter is dirty or if it is too small for the pump, pressure may build up inside the tank and cause the filter to malfunction. On the other hand, unusually low pressure could prevent water from flowing into the filter, thereby impairing normal circulation. To identify pressure problems, check to see if the pressure gauge on your filter is giving a normal reading when the filter is running. Pressure gauges provide invaluable information but also tend to break easily.
- If you notice puddles around your filter or hear dripping water, it probably means that the filter has a leak and may need to be replaced or repaired.
- Unusual noises. If the filtration system is emitting loud or unusual noises, it could indicate that the pump motor is not working properly.
- Excessive material from the filter leaking into the pool. With sand and diatomaceous earth (DE) filters, it is normal for small particles to pass into the pool water. However, if you notice steady streams leaking in, there may be a broken component in the filter.
If you’ve noticed any of these signs or have other questions or concerns about your pool’s filtration system, the pool maintenance experts at Aqua Pool are here to help! We can determine if your filter needs to be repaired or replaced, and if installing a new one is the best option, we will recommend a type suitable for your pool. Contact us today to get in touch with our team!