A swimming pool offers the perfect place to relax with friends and family, cool down on a hot day, and strengthen your body with some aquatic exercise. But since you will likely spend far more time looking at your pool than actually swimming in it, the pool’s aesthetic appeal is a key consideration when you are designing it. Fortunately, there are countless ways to create a gorgeous, custom pool that suits your needs, including different shapes and styles, various surfacing options, and a vast selection of special features that will enhance the beauty and functionality of your pool.
At Aqua Pool & Patio, we specialize in designing, building, and installing gunite pools, which offer the advantage of being highly customizable to accommodate different architectural styles, goals, and space limitations. The following overview highlights some inground pool design ideas that you may want to consider as you build your dream pool.
Pool shapes and styles
Today, inground pools are available in many more shapes than the traditional rectangles or kidney configurations that were common in decades past. Here are a few popular shapes and styles:
- Freeform pools have naturalistic shapes with curved boundaries, which may give them the appearance of a pond or lake. Many freeform pool designs include features like rock waterfalls or boulders, adding to the naturalistic appearance. These types of pools are often the best choice for small or irregularly shaped yards.
- Geometric pools come in standard shapes, such as rectangles, squares, or ovals. Their clean lines make them perfect for contemporary-style homes, and the shape may be optimal for swimming laps.
- Vanishing-edge. Also known as a zero-edge, negative-edge, or infinity pools, vanishing-edge pools have sides over which the water flows into a catch basin. This creates a visually stunning effect in which it appears that the pool has no boundary and simply fades into the horizon or surrounding landscape. Vanishing edges tend to work best with geometric-shaped pools, and are a particularly great option if your home has a contemporary style or your pool is situated on a ridge.
When designing a custom gunite pool, you’ll be able to choose from countless options for add-on features based on your needs, style, and intended uses for the pool. For example, here are a few popular features to consider including in your pool design:
- An attached spa
- Water features, such as rock waterfalls, fountains, rain curtains, bubblers, and many others. In addition to their eye-catching appearance, water features can drown out unwanted background noise and help create a calming ambience.
- In-pool seating, including tanning ledges
- LED lighting, which creates an alluring appearance and can give your pool a more modern aesthetic
Designing the pool of your dreams is an exciting process that can lead to an endless array of results based on the custom options you select. At Aqua Pool, our design team is here to guide you and help ensure that the finished product suits your needs, style, and vision. Call us today at (860) 623-9886 to get started!