When building a new pool, one of the most important decisions you will face is which type of material your pool will be made from: fiberglass, vinyl, or gunite. While fiberglass and vinyl remain popular choices, hand-built gunite pools—which are constructed by spraying cement onto a rebar skeleton—offer numerous benefits that generally make them the best option over the long term. Here are the top five advantages of gunite pools:
- Gunite has, by far, the longest lifespan of any pool material available. Building a pool is a major investment, and you may be wondering how long the structure will last. The good news is that when you choose gunite, you should never have to worry about replacing your new pool—properly built and maintained gunite pools are expected to last for 100 years or more, meaning that they are effectively permanent. In contrast, fiberglass pools last an average of 25 years, while vinyl pool liners need to be replaced every six to twelve years.
- Gunite pools can withstand harsh weather conditions. In addition to lasting for several decades without needing to be replaced, gunite pools are resistant to weather-related damage that can necessitate costly repairs. Due to the way they are constructed, gunite pools have what engineers refer to as “tensile” strength. This means that they flex with the movement of the earth and remain structurally sound, even when faced with freezing winter temperatures and other extreme conditions.
- Gunite pools are the most cost-effective option in the long run. While gunite may not be the least expensive type of pool in terms of upfront costs, the durability and remarkably long lifespans that these pools offer make them more cost-effective over time than their fiberglass and vinyl counterparts. Without having to worry about making significant repairs or replacing your gunite pool, you’ll be able to simply enjoy your new investment for years to come.
- Gunite pools have a beautiful appearance. There’s a reason why gunite is the pool material of choice at fine homes and luxury hotels around the world—no matter their size or style, gunite pools have a naturally beautiful look. At Aqua Pool, we like to refer to them as “yard art” because they serve as an eye-catching focal point in any backyard!
- Gunite pools can be customized to suit any property. Unlike prefabricated fiberglass and vinyl pools, gunite pools are hand-build onsite, meaning that the custom design options are virtually endless. Whether you’d like a small, square pool, an expansive, freeform one like those seen at resorts, or anything in between, gunite can bring your pool dreams to life. It is also easy to add a variety of custom features, such as in-pool seating areas, attached spas, or waterfalls.
As one of the top pool builders in the U.S., Aqua Pool has been designing and building premium-quality gunite pools for more than 50 continuous years—a record that no other local pool companies can claim. If you are considering adding a pool to your property, our team is happy to answer any questions you might have. Call us today at (860) 623-9886 to start planning the pool of your dreams!