Building a pool is a major investment that should deliver many years of enjoyment and long-lasting quality. However, as with most other significant home improvements, the results of a pool construction project depend heavily on the skill and reputability of the contractor—and unfortunately, there are many companies in the industry that will advertise their pool building services while lacking the qualifications needed to successfully complete the job. Customers who fall prey to these dishonest companies may find themselves with a poorly constructed pool that will need to be repaired or even replaced before long, or worse—the contractors could take their deposit and disappear without finishing the project.
As a homeowner thinking about building a pool on your property, how can you avoid the devastating consequences of working with a disreputable pool builder? Thoroughly vetting any company before signing a contract or handing over a deposit is key. While there are many factors you may want to consider, here are five of the top questions to ask a Connecticut pool builder:
- How long have you been in business under your current name and ownership? A common practice among unscrupulous pool contractors is to repeatedly open new companies under new names—and often in new cities—in an attempt to escape their poor reputation. On the contrary, if a company has been in business for several years (ideally, more than a decade) with the same name and under the same ownership, it’s usually a strong indication that they are trustworthy and perform quality work. As a family-owned business that has been in continuous operation since 1970, Aqua Pool & Patio is proud of the fact that our five-decade history is unmatched by any other local pool companies.
- Can I speak to your previous customers and see examples of your work? Reputable pool builders should have a long list of previous customers who they are comfortable allowing you to contact. In addition, they should be proud to show you projects they have completed so that you can see firsthand examples of the quality of their work. At Aqua Pool, we have several testimonials from our satisfied customers, and we are pleased to take any prospective customers on a “Pool Tour” of projects we have completed in order to showcase our many different design options.
- Are you licensed and insured? Pool contractors must have a “Pool Builder’s License” from the state and comply with any additional requirements at the local level. Additionally, it’s important to only work with contractors who carry proper liability and workers’ compensation insurance. If a worker becomes injured on the job or your property is damaged, you could potentially be liable if the contractor is not insured.
- Are you a member of any industry organizations? Companies that build a strong reputation over time are often members of industry organizations, or receive industry awards and other accolades. For example, Aqua Pool has consistently been recognized by the Northeast Pool & Spa Association (NESPA) for Outstanding Achievement for our pool service program, and has been ranked as one of the top 50 pool builders in the U.S. by Pool & Spa News—the premier trade publication in the industry—for several years in a row.
- What’s included in the contract? From factors related to the construction process to different design options, there are numerous variables that can affect the ultimate cost of your new pool, as well as the timeline. Before you begin construction, your contractor should walk you through the contract and clearly explain the different variables, including how they will handle unforeseen setbacks. If the contract seems too vague or the contractor doesn’t fully answer your questions, you should likely hesitate before signing anything.
At Aqua Pool, we are proud of the strong reputation we have built over our many years in business, and our team is happy to answer any questions you may have as you approach the process of building the pool of your dreams. Call us today at (860) 623-9886 to schedule a consultation!