A backyard swimming pool can offer endless hours of relaxation, exercise, and fun with family and friends—but keeping the water clean is essential for ensuring health and safety for swimmers, as well as a sparkling appearance for the pool. However, many new pool owners feel overwhelmed by the thought of cleaning and maintaining their pools and are unsure what types of equipment they should have on hand.
At Aqua Pool & Patio, we recommend investing in these top five essential tools to keep your pool clean:
- Telescopic pool pole. If you’ve ever been around a swimming pool, you’ve likely seen someone cleaning it with a long pole and something (such as a net, brush, or vacuum) attached to one end. Telescopic poles can shrink or expand in length and maneuver in different directions, allowing you to clean all areas of your pool, including hard-to-reach spots. When purchasing a telescopic pole, choose one that is at least 16 feet long and made from heavy-duty aluminum.
- Skimmer net. One common attachment for a telescopic pole is a skimmer net, which is used to remove leaves, insects, and other debris that you may find floating on the surface of the water. It should be used regularly to prevent debris from sinking to the bottom of the pool, where it may cause staining and affect the water chemistry. Be sure to choose a skimmer net made from fine mesh in order to capture dirt and pollen.
- Pool brush. A pool brush is used to scrub the walls, floor, and steps of your pool, which is important for preventing the buildup of algae and other contaminants that can cause the pool water to become cloudy or discolored and potentially cause health issues for swimmers. For gunite pools, we recommend stainless steel brushes.
- A pool vacuum is used to remove dirt and debris from the bottom of your pool, as well as areas that may be difficult to reach with the skimmer net and pool brush.
- pH testing kit. Maintaining the proper pH levels in your pool is essential for preventing algae growth and keeping the water clear and healthy. A testing kit will enable you to check pH levels regularly and add chemicals as needed to maintain the proper balance. However, we also recommend having your water tested professionally at least four times per season. Aqua Pool is pleased to offer free testing—just bring a sample of your pool water to our East Windsor location!
While pool cleaning tools such as these are helpful for any pool owner to have, one of the best ways to ensure that your pool stays clean, sparkling, and sanitary at all times is to enlist a pool maintenance professional. At Aqua Pool, we offer customizable pool maintenance programs to provide as much or as little assistance as needed, whether you’re interested in weekly, monthly, bi-monthly cleanings or anything in between. Our team of professionals can also help with major tasks such as spring openings and fall closings. Contact us today to learn more!