The beginning of any new year ushers in a wave of new home design trends. When it comes to backyard pools, these trends may relate to construction and design, ways of cleaning and maintaining the pool, and luxurious features that can enhance enjoyment of the pool area.
At Aqua Pool & Patio, we stay up to date on the latest styles and features that homeowners are seeking for their pools. Here are five of the top pool trends we expect to see throughout 2022 and beyond:
- Smaller pools. While sprawling, resort-style pools are beautiful, they do not fit with every backyard or budget. As a result, many homeowners are opting for smaller pools—often called “cocktail pools.” These pools are generally less than four feet deep and 400 square feet, and may be customized with features such as seating, jets, and heaters, which allow the pool to also be used as a spa. A slightly different option is a plunge pool. Since they tend to be deeper than cocktails pools, plunge pools are perfect for doing water aerobics.
- UV sanitizers. As various factors over the past two years have combined to cause severe chlorine shortages, many pool owners have begun seeking alternative ways to keep their pools clean and sanitary. One option is a UV sanitizer, which uses ultraviolet light rays to kill bacteria, algae, and microorganisms. At Aqua Pool, we recommend the Paramount® Ultra UV Water Sanitizer, which inactivates 99.9% of microorganisms—including many that are resistant to chlorine. In addition to cleaning more effectively than chlorine, this system does not leave any harmful byproducts and can reduce maintenance costs over time by minimizing the need for added chemicals.
- Saltwater pools. Another alternative to using chlorine is to convert your pool to saltwater. Saltwater pools use a biological process to turn salt into chlorine, which eliminates the need to add chlorine while still thoroughly sanitizing the water. As an added benefit, saltwater pools tend to be much gentler on skin, eyes, and bathing suits.
- “Smart” technology and automation have made many different areas of our lives simpler and more convenient—and now, homeowners are increasingly incorporating it into their pools. At Aqua Pool, one system we recommend is the Jandy AquaLink, which allows you to turn on the pool lights, spa, landscape lights, and other features from any web-enabled device. Other automated options that we like are the self-cleaning systems from Paramount, which ensure that your pool stays clean at all times while improving circulation and the distribution of heat and chemicals.
- Combined water and fire features. While the elements of water and fire may be polar opposites, they can be beautifully combined around the pool area to enhance visual intrigue and create a luxurious, resort-like vibe. This year, we expect to see homeowners not only adding fire features to their pool areas, but opting for features that combine fire and water in one. For instance, one option is a fire bowl that can be situated on top of a column, with a waterfall cascading from the bowl into the pool.
Whether you are seeking to incorporate the latest pool trends or more classic features, the team at Aqua Pool is here to help create the customized backyard oasis of your dreams. Call us today at (860) 623-9886 to schedule a consultation!