Top 5 Tips for Staying Safe Around a Pool
With summer on the horizon, most pool owners are looking forward to relaxing afternoons spent swimming and lounging by the pool. However, now is also a good time to review some important pool safety measures. By following these top five pool safety tips, you can help ensure a safe and enjoyable swimming season for the whole family!
- Maintain constant adult supervision whenever kids are near the pool. One of the most effective safety measures you can take around a pool is to ensure that children are always supervised by a responsible adult. It’s important to remain present—ideally within arm’s reach of the child—at all times.
- Install pool fencing and gates. To prevent children (and pets!) from wandering into the pool area without supervision, it’s important to ensure that your pool and/or spa area is completely enclosed with a fence that cannot be easily climbed or breached, as well as a gate—preferably one that is self-closing, with a self-latching mechanism. Another way to help secure your pool is to install a safety cover. At Aqua Pool, we carry professional safety covers from Merlin Industries, which comply with ASTM (American Society of Testing and Materials) standards and can be custom made to fit the exact shape of your pool.
- Make sure your pool area has adequate lighting, particularly for nighttime swimmers. Properly lit pool areas help reduce the risk of accidents and injuries. It illuminates the entire area and makes it easier for swimmers to see where they are going.
- Make sure the pool deck is slip-resistant and in good repair. Non-slip surfaces help to reduce the risk of slips, trips and falls around pool areas. Slip-resistant pool decks are more comfortable to walk on. They provide a better grip for bare feet and swimwear, which can make it more enjoyable to enjoy the pool area.
- Keep the pool area tidy. A cluttered pool area can be dangerous, as children can trip on toys, floats, and other objects and potentially fall into the pool. Therefore, it’s important to keep the pool area clean and tidy, and make sure that toys are stored away when not in use. And of course, be sure to keep the pool itself clean and ensure that the water chemistry is properly balanced so the pool is sanitary for swimming!
At Aqua Pool, we are here to help ensure that your pool is as safe as possible, this summer and always. Give us a call at (860) 623-9886 for information on the various pool safety products that we offer!